Personal tools

January

Sub-archives

Jan 31, 2010

Classical guitar down

by Finn Arild Aasheim — last modified Jan 31, 2010 11:55 PM

I got the house for myself this weekend, so I figured it would be a good time to do the remaining instrument recordings - classical guitar. It got very well until I came upon a bit more delicate part where I noticed one of the mics had a rather high hiss to it. I tried switching the cable but the hiss remained, so I ended up doing that part with the guitar microphone + studio microphone. All in all it worked out fine and I can check one more thing off the list.

Today - just while I waited for Elin to get home with some shawarmas, I also did another guitar solo - hopefully next week we can tick off quite a lot!

Jan 26, 2010

One down, nineteen to go

by Finn Arild Aasheim — last modified Jan 26, 2010 12:09 AM

As you can see on the tracker, one solo down - planning on doing the rest this week. Some more piano should be done next week, and every day I am working on getting the sound I want in the mix. The mixing will in earnest start when all tracking is done, and you should also be able to follow the progress on the tracker.

The guitars are finally up on the wall - here's the pictures I promised (click for larger images).

Studio Gitarer

 

Jan 21, 2010

Working those fingers

by Finn Arild Aasheim — last modified Jan 21, 2010 11:01 PM

It's been a while since I did some serious bends on the guitar, so these days I am preparing my fingers a bit for a recording session for the missing solos sometime next week. I also packed up my Hagstrøm Viking for the first time since I got back into my home studio again.

Coming Saturday a friend of mine will come and help me get some shelves up in the studio, and then I can finally get my guitars up on the walls. The previous week I made 2 neat racks from some IKEA nightstands and set up the computer in a holder (also from IKEA - as most of the other studio furniture) to get it off the floor. All in all it's getting to be a really nice home studio! When the guitars are up next week, I'll have a picture taken (there's only one photograph in this house) and show you all.

Also, you'll be able to follow the recording and mixing progress directly in the tool I have started to use for handling the project: Redmine.

Here is the link to the tracker: http://tracker.finnarild.com/ - currently it contains the missing recordings, but it will also contain the mixing progress and the countless other tasks involving an album release.

Jan 09, 2010

Fixing Kupu in deliverance configuration

by Finn Arild Aasheim — last modified Jan 09, 2010 08:20 PM

I am running some websites, which is helping to pay for the rent of the dedicated server I am running this website on. The system I am running is Plone, and I have been asked by people in the Plone community to blog about the solutions I frequently find.

For my newest customer, Ignarbakke (Not quite finished, so disregard the shabby design) - I have for the first time set up a deliverance solution. Deliverance is a brilliantly smart concept, both separating design from logic and giving you some neat possibilities of seamlessly combining several types of backend web applications into a frontend.

However, I have been having some problems in making it play nicely - both with issues in my Varnish cache frontend, and problems with the Kupu editor in Plone. Firstly, I had problems logging in to the site since my Varnish cache kept caching my pages even if I was logged in. This turned out to be a problem with all my sites, but since I usually log in with https which bypasses my cache, I hadn't noticed. The issue was easily solved by adding the following lines to vcl_fetch in the Varnish config:

    } elsif (req.http.cookie ~ "__ac" || obj.http.set-cookie ~ "__ac") {
        set obj.http.Cache-Control = "max-age=0, s-maxage=0, no-cache, must-revalidate, proxy-revalidate";
        set obj.ttl = 0s;
        set obj.http.X-Finns-Varnish-Rule = "Plone logged in - do not cache";
    }

(This is one of several conditions in vcl_fetch - hence the "elsif")

The other problem was that editing pages with the Kupu editor just didn't work. This was a bit more puzzling to me, and I googled my way until I found this page which shed some light on the mystery - however without solving it. I understood that Kupu depended on a pristine /emptypage - so I modified the Deliverance configuration in the example to the following:

    <!-- RULES FOR MAKING KUPU WORK -->
    <match  path="contains:emptypage" class="emptypage">                                                             
        <dest href="http://localhost:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/www.ignar.no:80/ignar/www/VirtualHostRoot" />         
    </match>    
    <rule class="emptypage">
        <replace content="element:/html/head"  theme="element:/html/head"  />                                        
        <replace content="element:/html/body"  theme="element:/html/body"  />                                        
    </rule>

Basically I used a match instead of a proxy - and that solved my problems nicely. Hopefully this will help others with the same problems.